Earth is our Garden (Quinton - 22 Jan '20)

This letter has not been posted yet due to some technical issues that happened last week at the paper.

Whether we want to believe it or not, the Earth is like a garden. I realize my saying this will likely draw ire from wilderness enthusiasts and adventurous vagabonds that strive to explore Earth’s remaining “wild” places, but the truth is that the Earth is practically at the mercy of humankind in every way. If we wish to go in and completely develop a supposed “wild” area, we have the technology, knowledge, and power to do so. But we choose not to do this to some areas-mostly protected ones- and mostly for aesthetic, cultural, or other reasons that have deemed such areas “beneficial” to society. Kind of like a garden.

So, if we accept the premise that the Earth is kind of like a garden, the next question I would like to pose is that why do we keep gardens? Of course, there is a multitude of answers. Gardens provide simple pleasures: aesthetics, peace, and a relaxing hobby to name some. But gardens also provide things a little more substantive: food, shelter, even lifestyles and careers. Gardens also are reflections of ourselves and our personalities. They are often the focal point of an individual’s property and some of the first things noticed by guests.

Of course, we want to keep our gardens healthy and in tip-top condition to fully reap the benefits of why they are cultivated: fresh food, lush properties, perhaps a compensation and recognition of work, and just general pleasure. And if gardens reflect ourselves, then it’s obvious what message a healthy garden conveys over a poorly kept one.

Ultimately, the point of all this garden talk is this: Earth is our garden. Treat the Earth like it is such: a source of food, of beauty, of pleasure. A source of shelter, lifestyle, and peace. For if we do not treat the Earth as such, then not only are we doing a disservice to the Earth, but ourselves and our future generations as well.

Quinton D.

1 Like