Creating a Recycling FAQ - Add your questions!

We want to come up with a list of questions people ask when they are determining the best route for recycling/throwing away their waste. We will then send this list to Troy Engebretson and ask that he helps us fill in the answers. The goal for this list would be to include it on the newly updated City of Morris website under the FAQ page!

We will also ask Troy if this document is up to date.

Add your questions by editing this post or by commenting below:

• Where should I recycle plastic bags?
    (Can we? Willies’ bags should go to the bin outside Willies.)
  • Do I need to take the paper off the can before recycling?
  • Do I take the lid off of the bottle before recycling?
  • Where do I recycle light bulbs?
  • How clean do containers need to be? Also foil is listed as recyclable but what state can it be in?
  • Is there a list of items that can be taken to Engebretson for recycling? If not, what sort of items would be on that list?
  • can we recycle all kinds of metal, like nails, tubing, etc.?
3 Likes

Where to take e-waste?
Is shredded paper recyclable?
How should we package our recyclables? Should we put them in bags or leave them loose in the bins?

3 Likes

What kind of plastic bags can be recycled at Willie’s?

3 Likes

Here’s the sign by the bin at the entrance to Willies’ SuperValu.

2 Likes

Can I recycle the plastic clamshell containers used for baked goods at Willie’s?
Can I recycle the containers used for the roasted chickens at Willie’s?

2 Likes

What do the numbers within the recycling symbol exactly mean? What number indicates compost?

2 Likes

Friends! We are doing a “popcorn” question asking session. If you are tagged please respond with one question you have about how the recycling system works & then tag someone else!

Ill start!

I am wondering do we recycle furniture/large wooden things? What about textiles? As someone with a completely destroyed couch in their garage I do not know what to do!
@Nec I challenge you!

Wow! Three and a half months later, can I still respond?!!

1 Like

Trusting that I can…I want to know what happens to our recycling!

1 Like

Brief answer is it travels a long long way from home by truck and we pay for it to be disposed of as there is no real market for the materials. Which is why recycling is at the bottom of the list of environmental actions we attempt. It’s sort of the least you can do to work on climate change. Which is a very disappointing discovery.

I’m currently reading a couple of zero waste books to see how I can cut down everything that goes out of our house regardless of the bin. It’s tough though, especially living out here. In urban areas there definitely seem more opportunities to do this.

1 Like