Thanks to everyone who attended today’s meeting! It was exciting to see so many new faces!
Attendees: Alycia Enberg, Ashley Denton, Boone Denton, Amelia Nelson, Judy Oldenburg, Judy Bluth, Susan Gilbert, Annelise Tatham, Josie Rehbein, Nic McPhee, Lori Kurpiers, Ferolyn Angel, Margaret Kuchenreuther
- Message from @bormanann
- Anyone attend the Clean Energy Panel in Fergus?
- Spring Movie Event (SYD TOTALLY FORGOT TO BRING THIS UP, Read below for more info)
- Concert Choir 7:30PM Tonight
- Indivisible Meeting
- RUSC Kinship is looking for mentors!
- Thanks Marshall for doing follow up on the radio after the Waste meeting & for continuously announcing our meetings on air!
- If you have places to put posters up, let Syd know!
- Ecosia is a cool thing!
- Post Waste Meeting Thoughts
- Waste Meeting Notes (@Margaret_K here they are )
- Categorize & sort survey info (@Susan_Gilbert is on it)
- Discussion on recycling at SCMC and how there is no large dumpster for recycling at large institutions in town. They simply have a million little bins. We should think on this as a team. How is there still not a solution? There are lots of big places in town that need to recycle.
- Reducing waste is the first step
- We should ask the paper to do a series of stories on the “Waste in Stevens County” issue. Highlight the problem, the costs, the way it works, and then what work is being done.
- Paper could also do a story on Morris Model goals and who is on board. This could go along with the Waste stories, showcasing why the goals are important.
- Contact Katie Erdman
- We should invite Nathan to come speak with us about how the Pope/Douglas project is going. We should figure out the timeline in the Legislature so that we can support the project (contact legislators, do some community education, outreach)
- We are still craving a place to find concise information on how to recycle properly.
- We could work with Troy Engebretson to come up with a FAQ on recycling and then put it on the City website!
- Should I crush my cans? Can I recycle pizza boxes? Do I need to take the cap off of the bottle first?
- We will email Troy Engebretson once we have a solidified list of questions. Add to the list of questions here!
- Where are the institutions at in the Morris Model Strategic Plan approving?
- Morris Model Strategic Plan Report
- Could this be another article in the paper? Factual statements on who has approved the plan and who has not?
- Could we work with kids in the school to do recycling/composting work? How can we engage in this way?
- Thank You letter writing
- We broke off into teams and wrote thank you letters to Bill Kleindl, Troy Engebretson, Ron Staples, Neil Weise, Blaine Hill, Sandeep Kotala, and Robert from the Senior Center.
I TOTALLY forgot to bring this up at the meeting. Josie sent me an email asking if we would like to be a part of the annual movie event that the Office of Sustainability puts on. Here are some snippits from the email she sent me:
With the movie showing, we hoped to engage the wider Morris community in discussions about changing climate in MN, the actions being taken in Morris, and the ways that people could become more involved.
This spring, we are working to host another free showing of a documentary! The event will be on April 11th at 2 pm. This year we have picked Troubled Waters: A Mississippi River Story, a film by Larkin Mcfee and Barbara Coffin produced by the Bell Museum of Natural History.
We would like to reach out to you at the West Central Climate Network, to see if you would be interested in partnering with us for this event. Partnering with us can look many different ways, and we would like it to fit what works best for you. It can be as simple as assisting in advertising, or (if you’d like to have further input on the event) attending planning meetings, hosting an activity or display the day of. Any other ideas of participation are welcome as well!
I think it would be super great to be a part of this! Let me know your thoughts in the comments and I will forward them on to Josie!
- Email Nathan
- Find out Pope Douglas Timeline
- Depending on timeline, find a date for him to visit!
- Contact Stevens County Times to do a story or writeup on Waste in Stevens County
- Katie Erdman
- Troy Engebretson FAQ about Recycling
- Gathering of questions & ideas
- Put together document/text for city website
- include reasons WHY the preferences are the way they are
- We will be the gatherers and sharers of content!